Islamic perspective is a course devised by hajiya aisha lemu and developed over time by the teachers of the subject. The college realized that implementing “islamization of knowledge” as proposed by some mulim scholars since the world conferences on Islamic education in the 1970s and 1980s would not be feasible or practical in the current secular educational environment.
Instead of replacing the secular system. The college has introduced a parallel Islamic approach to knowledge . students therefore learn and fully understand the secular approach to the sciences and other fields of study , but also , under guidance of a separate teacher, they explore the subjects from an Islamic perspective and thereby enrich their understanding of the subjects and develop a greater appreciation of Allah’s creation and his bounties to mankind.
“Islamic Perspectives” also covers a Muslim’s way of thinking and his/her manners and conduct in accordance with the Qur’an and the Sunnah.
Source books and DVD:
JSS 1 Islamic Manners and Social Conduct by B. Aisha Lemu, Abdullahi Orire and Asiya Rodrigo (available at Ilmi Bookshop, I.E.T.)
JSS 2: Wonders of Allah’s Creation: Books and DVD’s by Harun Yahya in Turkey and Islamic Bookshop in the U. K.
JSS 3: Steps on the Right Path: Selected Hadith on Moral behavior and other topics. Selected by B. Aisha Lemu and Adama Alhassan Dolley (available at Ilmi Bookshop. I.E.T., Minna)
SSS 1: For Men of Understanding: Further material of Allah’s creation, animal behavior, water cycle, nitrogen cycle, (Ref. Book & DVD, Harun Yahya in Turkey, and Islamic Bookshop in the U. K.)
NOTE:Teachers may draw on the materials used by New Horizons College in teaching these courses but need not follow the New Horizons model strictly. In fact, it would be better if teachers pick what they like and leave out what they are not enthusiastic about. Teachers should choose topics that they are passionate about because in order for Isolamic Perspectives to retain its vivacity, it must be teacher inspired and students centered. Teachers need to be flexible about what topics to teach, it is advisable to give copies of the Harun Yahya books to students if possible due to the richness of the illustrations and text.
Influential Movies: The following films are suitable for screening students at
weekends or any convenient time:
1. The Message (a moving portrayal of the life of Prophet Muhammad from his
call to prophethood until he died).
2. Adam’s World: A sesame Street” for Muslims.
3. Lion of the Desert (the story of Umar Mukhtar and his struggle to defend his country against colonial occupation).
4. Pathways to Islam (three young Muslim men narrate their journey to Islam).
5. Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet. (A documentary on the impact of the
Prophet’s message on modern Muslims in America.).
1. Malcolm X: The story of his life and how he found Islam.
2. Hotel Rwanda: A film based on the historical events revealing people’s
behavior during the Rwandan genocide. The story raises moral issues.
3. To kill a Mockingbird: A film about a lawyer’s defense of a black man wrongly accused of a crime in the deep South of the USA.
4. Kingdom of Heaven: A glimpse of the Crusades and the wisdom and courage
of Saladin (Salahuddin)